Friday, April 24, 2009

Farewell to Steve

Four years ago my brother came home for a visit. He asked me if it would be alright if he bought Rece a fish. I responded, "no problem". I didn't realize it would mean four years of cleaning a little fish aquarium. A job I rank right up there with cleaning toilets. After about three years, I decided this was no ordinary fish. This fish was unnaturally durable. He had been dropped on the floor, underfed, overfed, his water had reached alarmingly low levels, and the list goes on...and so did Steve. Until today.

We had to have a proper burial. Flushing him just wasn't an option.
Rece dug the hole.

At this point we said a few words. Here is a sampling:
Rece: "Goodbye Steve. You were a good, strong fish. I will miss you. I love you".
Zachary: "Goodbye Steve. You died."
There were a few tears.

After our goodbyes.

5 comments:

Red Head Family said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I know you are deeply saddened by this passing. You are a good mom to have endured with this for so long and then to do the emotional thing for your kids (I'd have flushed it!) See you Tuesday.

Jamie said...

Such a sad/cute post! I smiled, yet felt kinda sad. Poor little Rece.

I agree with Jaimee, though. You are a very good mom to have endured four years of cleaning a fish tank! Not my idea of a fun time!

Garon and Kati Boyce said...

Poor Rece! I showed this post to Garon, I thought he might cry too! Maybe we can bring a puppy or a kitty this year (totally joking - i Promise!)

Angie T. said...

I hope you don't mind me snooping! That is a cute post. You have such cute kids. Reece was so cute in primary today. He told me he has had 3 really bad days. I told him I was sorry and asked him what was wrong? He told me that he was trying very hard to be good in sacrament and it didn't work. It made me smile. The story of my life! You have a great family!

Bean said...

Tell your kids that I am so sorry that their fish died. Greg drove me by some dead calves and a horse the other day and I started crying. Growing up, I would cry every time an animal died on the farm, whether it was a rabbit, fish, calf, cat, dog, or whatever it was. You sure get attached to animals, or things, quickly. I will have to give your boys a hug the next time I see them!!